A number of issues have been identified with Blackboard Learn when using the Internet Explorer browser. Recent issues include:
- Problems with hyperlinks in Blackboard Portfolios
- Intermittent issues with the inline grading tool
- Images and fonts change in Modules when using the Back button
- Problems uploading files to assignments
The DEIT team would like to remind everyone that Internet Explorer is not a supported browser when using Blackboard (support ended in Q4, 2018). Please use a different browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Microsoft Edge.
Microsoft is no longer actively developing Internet Explorer and has recommended it not be your default web browser – https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/The-perils-of-using-Internet-Explorer-as-your-default-browser/ba-p/331732.
A security exploit was found in March 2019 with Internet Explorer that “allows hackers to spy on you and steal personal data from your PC” (https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/04/15/warning-internet-explorer-just-became-a-silent-but-serious-threat-to-every-windows-user/#7c4c9cb886d8)
Unless needed for a specific site, it may be best to remove Internet Explorer from your computer. The steps outlined by Microsoft to remove Internet Explorer are below.
- Press the Windows logo key+R to open the Run box.
- Type appwiz.cpl, and then select OK.
- In the the Programs and Features item, select Turn Window features on or off.
- In the Windows Features dialog box, locate the entry for the installed version of Internet Explorer. For example, locate the Internet Explorer 11 entry. Then, clear the check box.
- Select OK to commit the change.
- Restart the computer.