October 24, 2012
Trexler Library – PPL Conference Room
PRESENT: Mr. John Bell, Dr. Rodger Berg, Dr. Robert Blumenstein, Ms. Deborah Booros, Dr. Christopher Cocozza, Dr. Brian Kane, Fr. Peter Leonard and Dr. Karen Walton. Guest: Dr. Tonya Amankwatia
Dr. Rodger Berg called the meeting to order at 3:00 p.m.
1. Approval of the Minutes – The minutes of September 26, 2012 were approved. Mr. Bell will see that they’re distributed via the DeSales Daily.
2. Learning Management System – Dr. Amankwatia shared the Academic Technology Committee’s recommendation that DeSales University transition from Angel to Blackboard beginning in the 2013-2014 academic year. The recommendation was discussed and received the unanimous support of the committee.
3. Enrollment by Major – As a follow up to a conversation at a recent Strategic Planning Committee meeting, Dr. Blumenstein shared a chart on how current enrollements by major compare with the projected goals in the university’s strategic plan. A wide-ranging conversation ensued and the division heads shared a general concern regarding uncertainty about what action is expected of the faculty.
4. Update on Majors Fair – Dr. Blumenstein asked division heads to poll their faculty who participated in the September 2012 Majors Fair and to forward to him any feedback that might prove useful to Scott Mattingly or Kristin Eicholtz.
5. Final Examination Policy – Mr. Bell sought clarification on the portion of the final examination policy pertaining to project-based final exams.
6. Traditional Day Student Registration in On-line Courses – Ms. Booros shared her concern that the policy preventing traditional day students from registering in on-line courses is being compromised with growing frequency and asked division heads to clarify the policy with faculty advisors in an effort to help curb the trend. Dr. Walton reminded the committee that six years ago the university approved the “Candidate for Degree” option thereby permitting participation in the commencement ceremony for students who have failed to fulfill all but a nominal amount of their graduation requirements.
7. Course Expectations – Dr. Cocozza opened a follow up discussion regarding the notion of adding a statement about course expectations to syllabi. Support for such a university-wide requirement does not seem to exist. Division heads are free to pursue such a requirement within their divisions if they so choose.
8. November Faculty Colloquium – Drs. Berg and Cocozza will confirm participants from their respective divisions to appear on the November Faculty Colloquium scheduled for November 14th. The topic will be instructional technology.
The meeting adjourned at 4:50 p.m. Please note: the committee’s regularly scheduled meeting for November 28 is cancelled. The next meeting will be on December 12, 2012 in the Trexler Library PPL Conference Room at 3:00 p.m.
John Bell, Division Head
Division of Performing Arts