In a fire, seconds count. Seconds can mean the difference between residents of our community escaping safely from a fire or having their lives end in tragedy.
That’s why this year’s Fire Prevention Week theme: “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” is so important. It reinforces why everyone needs to have an escape plan. Here are this year’s key campaign messages:
- Use the building evacuation maps on your residence hall door to locate your exit and plan a path to the outside from the exit.
- When fire drills are conducted, evacuate and use this time to practice getting out quickly.
- Never tamper with or cover any smoke detectors, sprinkler heads, or fire alarm system equipment.
- Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.