It is with immense pleasure that we announce the process to completely update the DeSales website has begun. 🙂 The plan is for the new site go live sometime between January and June of 2012. If this seems like a very long time, you’re right. But, to give you an idea of the Herculean task at hand, our current site now has 11,927 pages!
The recently created Internal Communications Committee (ICC) will oversee the entire process. (If you aren’t familiar with the ICC, it includes representatives from across campus and now advises all University marketing and communications.)
The new site will be lean, focused, and audience-driven.
We’ve broken the process down into four basic tasks, with evaluation groups assigned to each task:
Task one: March – April 2011
Laying out the foundation: content management system (CMS) selection
- the framework the site is built upon
- allows users from across campus to contribute content to their respective areas of the site
- managed jointly by web manager and web content coordinator
- Base on the recently completed CMS user group survey results, technical, and marketing requirements
The people: led by exec. director of communications. Includes web manager, web content coordinator, sports information director
Task two: April – June 2011
The look: design, branding, and strategy
- goes beyond the web site to encompass the next marketing campaign, as well
- content strategy, information architecture, and templates for the site (including sub sections) will be developed at this stage
The people: led by exec. director of communications. Includes director of marketing, director of publications, web content coordinator, undergrad admissions rep, graduate admissions rep, ACCESS rep, student life rep, alumni/donor relations rep
Task three: April 2011 – Jan/June 2012
If you build it, they will come: content creation and population
This is the bulk of the work and involves the most people. All decisions will be based on best practices, user surveys*, site statistics.
- current site content audit – how many of our pages are actually used and/or needed?
- content editing and/or creation: copy, images, videos, integration with social media, forms, interactive elements, etc.
- consistent tone and style
- each department/section will be worked on individually according a master schedule – we’ll notify you when it’s your turn
The people: led by web content coordinator. Includes director of marketing, web manager and the current CMS users group (approximately 48 representatives from all areas of the University.)
Task four: April 2011 – Jan/June 2012
Making all that work, um, work: technology implementation
- CMS installation
- data integration
- old-site page redirects
- and more!
The people: led by web manager. Includes IT staff and web content coordinator (as needed)
We hope you’re looking forward to the new site as much as we are, and we’ll be sure to keep you updated on any interesting developments. 🙂
Questions? email@example.com or x 1764
* We want to make sure the site works for our audiences, so we’ll be conducting surveys of students, staff, and community members throughout this process. Stay tuned to the Daily for updates.